(NRS 200.571 / NRS 200.575) Protective Orders

Today I would like to discuss “protective orders”, more specifically what you should do if you’ve had one wrongfully filed against you. My name is Michael Pariente of Pariente Law, P.C. We’ve practiced criminal defense in Las Vegas for the past 17 years.

I have a wealth of experience on this subject.

If you’ve had a protective order (or TPO) filed against you, the first thing you need to do is take it seriously! If you are convicted of violating one, you could be looking at up to a year in jail and have a gross misdemeanor conviction on your record (under NRS 200.571 / NRS 200.575). Secondly, if you are someone who has a professional license, such as a doctor, lawyer, teacher, real estate agent or you have security clearance; you absolutely should hire an attorney to file a “motion to dissolve”. The reason is, a conviction on your record can hurt your ability to make a living.

Let me give you an example of a case I had very recently. We had a client with a security clearance. She works for one of the top government agencies in the country. She had a protective order filed against her. The person who filed the TPO against her was her ex-boyfriend. We filed a “motion to dissolve” that restraining order. She was threatening to sue him for non-payment of the money. He didn’t want to pay her so; he filed this bogus protective order against her. We went to court to present our side of the story and got the judge to agree it should be dissolved. We were able to show the judge the reason he filed a TPO was because he owed her money and didn’t want to pay.

Fortunately, my client was able to keep her job and (more importantly) her top-level security clearance!

If the opposing party is particularly vindictive, they can use a restraining order to manipulate you. Violating it comes with very stiff criminal penalties that will reflect very badly on you as a person. If you are in a situation where you’ve received a protective order or you’ve been accused of violating a TPO: Call me immediately! Come to my office and sit down with me in person. If you are calling from out-of-state, let’s talk on the phone about how I can help you.


You Are Not Alone!

We are taking calls 24 hours a day, and would love to talk to you about your case, free of charge.

Call (702) 966-5310

Call (702) 966-5310
Send SMS Text