Casino Debt

Casino Marker Attorney

Year after year, many tourists travel to Las Vegas due to the allure of legal gambling. In some cases, a casino will extend a line of credit to a guest. This may seem like a generous and courteous act by the casino, however, it can also be seen as a way for the casino to encourage excessive gambling. When the vacation is over, and the individual does not have sufficient funds to pay back the amount lost, he or she can find themselves facing criminal charges. If you have unpaid casino debts, it is vital that you hire a defense attorney in Las Vegas who could help you avoid time behind bars, and potentially have your casino markers reduced.

Las Vegas Casino Marker Defense Attorney

Michael Pariente of Pariente Law Firm P.C. is a qualified defense attorney in Las Vegas who has extensive experience in defending clients who are alleged to have unpaid casino markers in Las Vegas. If you have been accused of acting fraudulently against a casino or failing to pay a casino debt, Michael Pariente can defend you.

Pariente Law Firm P.C. serves tourists and residents in Clark County, including the areas in and around Las Vegas, Henderson, Paradise, and Sunrise Manor. Contact us today at (702) 966-5310 so that we can get started on your case.

What is a Casino Marker?

The most common form of casino debt stems from unpaid markers. A casino marker is similar to a check in the sense that you are writing it to the casino with your bank account information, guaranteeing that you will pay back any money lost while gambling on a line of credit. When an individual writes a casino marker, the casino will deposit the marker, usually days or weeks after it is written, attempting to collect on the debt.

If the individual has insufficient funds in his or her bank account to cover the value of the marker once it is deposited, he or she can be charged with a crime, even if he or she had sufficient funds to cover the debt at the time the casino marker was written.

Process after a Casino Debt is Unpaid

The process begins when the casino attempts to deposit the casino marker and the casino marker is rejected because the defendant’s bank account does not have enough money to cover the value of the marker.

When an individual fails to pay a marker, or a marker bounces, the casino will attempt to resolve the issue with the defendant.  By law, the casino must give the defendant written notice of the debt, and allow him or her 10 days to respond. If the defendant does not respond, the casino can file a criminal complaint.

After a complaint is filed, the District Attorney will give written notice to the defendant, giving him or her 10 more days to pay the value of the casino marker. At this time, the defendant no longer has the option of directly resolving the issue with the casino. He or she must now settle the issue with the District Attorney Office.

If the defendant fails to respond, he or she can be arrested and face time behind bars, as well as be forced to pay restitution. If the casino marker was written for over $250, the defendant can be charged with a category D felony and sentenced to one to four years in prison, and/or be ordered to pay between $250 to $5,000 in fines.

If you have received notice of a criminal proceeding against you, it is important that you immediately contact a casino marker attorney.

Representing Clients Accused of Having Unpaid Casino Debts in Las Vegas

Pariente Law Firm, P.C. defends clients who are facing criminal prosecution due to allegations of unpaid casino debts in Las Vegas, Paradise, Spring Valley, Henderson, and the surrounding areas in Clark County.

If you have been accused of failing to pay a casino debt, Michael Pariente is ready and willing to defend you. He has the knowledge and resources necessary to help you develop a thorough defense, which could keep you from behind bars. Contact Michael Pariente today at (702) 966-5310.

You Are Not Alone!

We are taking calls 24 hours a day, and would love to talk to you about your case, free of charge.

Call (702) 966-5310

Call (702) 966-5310
Send SMS Text